Well, there's a shocker.
Just talked to an old... classmate? Friend? I don't know what to refer to her as. But it's been a long time.
And I think our conversation really jarred me a little.
It's just mind-numbing to realise how much one person can change in five years - in a way you usually don't think about. Mature? Intelligent? Able to hold a fluid conversation? Decent to talk to? Slap my ass and call me Sally.
We're naturally pessimistic; we tend not to think about optimistic "what ifs" and "maybe s/he'll change for the better! I can't wait to see it". We only think about the now (or the then, if you wish you look at it that way) and how we perceive said person as currently (or before). We're judgmental creatures like that, no point in denying it.
But the recent conversation leaves me questioning our natural regime. What if we're doing it wrong? That looking at the now is just going to lead to our inevitable downfall?
We've learnt to anticipate and adapt to the future in terms of marketing and technological advances... But what about in the social department?
I've seen the ugly. But the last thirty minutes really brought to my attention the light after the metaphorical tunnel.
Calm after the storm.
Good changes or what have ye when you least expect it, from the most unexpected places or people.
Don't really know why I'm blogging about this. But I felt the need to really get out the fact that maybe we're looking at some people wrong.
That while the old "don't judge a book by it's cover" saying is never followed, perhaps it's time to grab said phrase by the reins and check out the last chapter.
Because change is inevitable, time heals all wounds and life is a motherfucking bitch that throws you into a maelstrom of "what-the-fuckery" every chance it gets.
But hey. If the trio of butthurt strengthens you like I've seen it done for this person, I'm all for it.
Because if our conversation has shown me anything; it's that everyone can be changed for the better. Some people just take more time.
Love ourselves? Optimism?
I might just take your word for it.
(I really hope she never stumbles on this blog, or this post.
That would be embarrassing.)
No comments:
Post a Comment